Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Communications and Marketing, Director
Pathfinder International is seeking a seasoned strategic leader of communication and marketing teams. A proven communication strategy for Pathfinder is to bring compelling stories from the field and position the organization as a leader of a global agenda. This will require a discipline to ensure each piece of collateral reinforces our mission and reflects our values. Your responsibility is ensuring all our marketing collateral supports our belief that women and adolescents are essential to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals; that sexual rights and reproductive rights are human rights; and that gender equality and women’s empowerment are both the objective and part of the solution to helping millions live a better life.
If you are a creative mind, have a deep rooted intellectual curiosity, and have a hunger to understand the multiple facets of our work in sexual and reproductive health rights, this is the right organization for you. As we celebrate our 60th year, we launch the trajectory of our work for the next 60 years. If you want to be a part of an organization that continues to blaze new paths and partners with others in their pursuit of a healthy, thriving life plan, this is the right time for you. If you believe that a community-centered designed process leads to more sustainable and resilient solutions, this is the right organization for you.
To be successful in this role, you will have a proven record of being decisive and resourceful with the ability to flex with rapid change, anticipate, and act quickly on opportunities that advance Pathfinder’s resources. As a representative of the organization who will convey our core values, you will help the organization build trust with our external audiences including elected officials in the US government, the private sector, and donors. You will capitalize on the power of integrated, multichannel communications and advocacy, including social media. You bring to the work a high level of energy and the emotional maturity and sensitivity to work with and lead a group of diverse personalities from different cultures, and to foster and champion team efforts.
You are accountable for all types of publications and all forms of external communication produced on behalf of the organization. You create editorial standards and oversee in-house editors. You may serve as the organization’s representative at external functions. You ensure the tone of the CEO and Executive Team is delivered. You set the policies for every Pathfinder communication or marketing collateral, including program-funded publications, and make sure every issue is consistent on these measures. You own overall creative direction for our global organization.
You are involved in strategic implementation of the organization’s mission. You hold management and budgeting responsibilities. You will appoint in-house staff who will collect content, secure creative, and manage external affairs through accessing a global pool of in-house talent and an extensive pool of freelance journalists, photographers, editors, technical writers, proofreaders, videographers, graphic designers, desktop publication specialists, and event planners. It is essential that you are not only comfortable with, but you thrive in building and leading a team, including in-house talent, external creative firms, and freelance team members; disciplines including art direction, UX, photography, video, digital media, and web; and the execution of fundraising campaigns, events, digital production, press releases, and CEO communications and speeches. Each of these experiences will not only raise awareness of Pathfinder’s mission but our ability to secure funding.
Basic Requirements (Candidates must meet basic requirements to be considered for this job.)
Required Key Competencies:
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in an area of business or communications as well as strong writing and exceptional public speaking skills
- Marketing and Communications Principles and Practices: Mastery of knowledge of applying standards, guidelines, and best practices to marketing and communications efforts
- Visual and Design Skills: Mastery of visual and design skills
- Design and Print Production: Mastery of knowledge of design process and print production
- Communications Tools: Mastery of knowledge of online and new media communications tools
- Leadership and Management: Proven ability to lead, supervise, and coach members of staff in different locations
Required Education, Training, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or a combination of education and experience that yields the required competencies
- 10 years’ professional communication and strategic marketing experience with progressive management and leadership, preferably in international health
- Experience speaking to the press and other media
- Work experience with a multinational organization
- Experience leading global staff and vendors
- International and domestic travel required (at least 20%)Flexibility to support an international work schedule allowing for scheduled early morning or late calls overseas
Washington DC Pathfinder Office. This is a full-time position.
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.