Global Media and Communications Officer
Summary: Organizational media officer that assists in managing external content and creative development through accessing a global pool of in-house talent and an extensive pool of freelance journalists, photographers, editors, technical writers, proofreaders, videographers, graphic designers, desktop publication specialists, and event planners.
Key Job Outcomes:
- Media Relations: Responds to media enquiries, coordinates interviews with key spokespeople on staff, manages media logistics at events, builds and maintains the organization’s database of media contacts, drafts press releases, and closely monitors all media coverage
- Communications Planning Execution: Contributes to internal creative planning and execution of communications materials, including website, social media, and print collateral. Oversees the creation of content and design of assigned projects. Ensures timely production of communications vehicles geared toward appropriate audiences.
- Vendor Oversight: Assists in providing content and editorial oversight for consultants working on planning and message development, managing services for materials, designers, printers, photographers and media. Assists in overseeing and guiding vendor relationships. Ensures that appropriate content is translated to meet target audiences’ needs.
- Online Status Findings and Recommendations Reports: Monitors the website, intranet and other online statistics, reports results and recommends improvements impacting usability, engagement and visibility.
- Activities and Events Coordination: Assists with organization-wide events and speaking engagements, including events and conferences to promote Pathfinder.
- Project Management and Participation: Leads, manages or participates in cross functional project teams.
Minimally Required Job Competencies:
- Communications Principles and Practices: Foundational knowledge of applying standards, guidelines and best practices to communications efforts.
- Brand Strategy Development and Implementation: Ability to create, execute and sustain assigned enterprise-wide brand strategies.
- Visual and Design Skills: Advanced visual and design skills.
- Design and Print Production: Foundational knowledge of the design process and print production.
- Communications Tools: Advanced knowledge of online and new media communications tools.
- Job-Specific Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of software applications for web based solutions, social media platforms, and apps.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of Microsoft products, including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook.
- Analysis and Sound Judgement: Advanced analytical and trouble shooting skills. Ability to make sound judgments. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Languages: Proven ability to write and speak using the English language
- Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels.
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Foundational knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and services of assigned program, including program strategies and indicators.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices
- Influencing and Customer Service Skills: Proven ability to influence using diplomacy skills with key stakeholders. Advanced customer service skills.
- Organization, Planning and Multi-tasking: Advanced organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision. Proven ability to coordinate activities.
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment, and ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
- Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
- Confidentiality: Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related issues.
Minimally Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or related field, or a combination of education and experience that yields the minimally required competencies.
- 4 years’ experience in communications and media relations
- Work experience with a multinational organization
- Preferred: Fluency in French
- Prefer: Experience living or working in developing countries that aids in the understanding of program context, field realities, and technical needs preferred
- Travel required (at least 20%)
- Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer
- May deliver editorial direction on select products.
- May work with intranet, website and other communications platforms.